General Superintendent - Water & Wastewater
Company: McCarthy Building
Location: Kansas City
Posted on: May 28, 2023
Position Summary McCarthy's Water and Wastewater Business Unit
is seeking a General Superintendent. The General Superintendent has
the ownership and responsibility for all field operations on the
project including site safety, schedule, self-perform work,
quality, subcontractor field coordination, logistics, labor cost
and productivity. These responsibilities should result in a timely
and profitable project completion. The General Superintendent has
the responsibility to collaborate with the Project Director, Senior
Project Superintendent and Project Manager and is responsible for
keeping them accurately and fully informed of the field status of
the project, particularly regarding cost, schedule, quality,
safety, and problem issues. The General Superintendent will direct
all Superintendents on the project and is expected that they will
take a leadership role in the training and mentoring and assist as
necessary with Project initiatives requiring their field expertise.
While each assignment varies, major specific duties of the General
Superintendent on any size project may include:
- Be a great partner with the project staff and lead the "One
Team" and "Smart & Healthy" culture initiatives.
- Assist the Estimating department in bidding opportunities and
Preconstruction Services by performing constructability reviews,
providing cost and scheduling input, and pre-planning
- Ensure concrete, civil, mechanical reviews and logistics plans
are done for project.
- Lead and monitor work planning process. All self-perform and
trade partner activities will have work plans in place
- Coordinate with the Project Manager in development of the Chart
of Accounts items related to self- performed work activities to
ensure a useful and meaningful Labor Cost Productivity Report.
Create/develop budgets, units, productivities, crews, and chart of
accounts during the preconstruction phase of the project.
- Lead the development of a detailed CPM Construction Schedule,
paying particular attention to self-performed work activities. Plan
the way the project will be built, and, in conjunction with the
subcontractors, develop the Schedule accordingly.
- Develop a Project Site Logistics Plan, verify Owner/Agency
approvals as necessary, and implement and manage the plan
throughout the construction duration.
- Manage superintendents in charge of McCarthy's labor force to
achieve optimum performance and productivities
- Review and understand and monitor material & equipment budgets
and negotiate purchases.
- Coordinate rentals, purchases with McCarthy's yard manager to
maximize yard usage. Review and coordinate yard billings with other
project staff to assure accurate accounting and billing of rentals
and material purchases.
- Consistently monitor Project costs (labor, materials, and
equipment) and identify opportunities for improvement/savings and
problem areas which may result in cost overruns. Review with
Project Manager and/or Project Director possible solutions to
correct or mitigate negative trends; promptly implement selected
- Develop and maintain a working relationship with the local
union representatives and business agents, when applicable.
- Develop and maintain a working relationship with owners,
engineers and inspectors
- Provide leadership in the project's quality program. Identify
and encourage new methods and procedures to be implemented in the
Field. Institute pre-installation conferences with Trades prior to
commencement of any work.
- Provide leadership in the safety and accident prevention
programs. Institute and participate in Weekly Toolbox Safety
Meetings and perform regular Job Site inspections. Review solutions
to correct or mitigate unsafe conditions; promptly implement
corrective actions. Thoroughly review all accidents and implement
corrective actions to prevent recurrences. Display and always
promote a Positive Safety Culture.
- Lead in the creation and management of the Self Perform Review,
Site Specific Safety Plan, Site Specific Quality Plan, and
Executive Baseline Schedule Review.
- Oversee Area Superintendents in chairing weekly Subcontractor
Coordination Meetings. Review safety, quality, and scheduling
issues in order that Subcontractors understand the needs and
expectations for the Project. Monitor the issuance of meeting
minutes to appropriate parties in a timely manner.
- Lead and be responsible for all Superintendents and chair
weekly or daily Superintendent Meetings when Project has more than
one McCarthy Superintendent.
- Responsible for managing the issuance and the maintenance of
the Short-Term Schedules. Update weekly based upon actual job
progress. Discuss scheduling needs and coordination requirements
with the Subcontractors. Work closely with Project Manager on
monthly CPM Schedule Updates based upon actual Job progress,
including providing actual start and finish dates with remaining
- Coordinate, encourage and monitor the training and development
of all Field Staff Members working directly for the General
Superintendent and other Staff Members, as assigned.
- Assist Project Engineers in/during the Shop Drawing and
Submittal Process. Point out items or areas which may need special
attention and/or review.
- Interface with Owner/Architect/Consultants on field conflicts
or problems. Pursue resolution in a timely and professional
- Assist the Business Development and Marketing Departments, as
necessary, to pursue new work opportunities. Qualifications
- General Superintendents have the skills and expertise needed to
lead field operations on individual projects of $100M or greater or
- Should be open to travel and/or relocation
- 10+ years Water/Wastewater experience strongly preferred
McCarthy Building Companies is proud to be an equal opportunity and
affirmative action employer regardless of race, color, gender, age,
sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religious
beliefs, marital status, genetic information, national origin,
disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected
by federal, state, or local law.
Keywords: McCarthy Building, Kansas City , General Superintendent - Water & Wastewater, Other , Kansas City, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...