Director of Information Security Engineering
Company: H&R Block
Location: KANSAS CITY
Posted on: July 21, 2021
What you'll do...
At H&R Block, we are in search of customer-centric people with
bold ideas who want to make a difference and help transform the
company. When you come and work with us, you are joining a group
that is grounded in the spirit of entrepreneurship - nimble, quick,
self-starters who are drawn to try new things and solve big
challenges. We need innovators, creators, and achievers like you
who are eager to disrupt an entire industry.
The Director of Information Security Engineering will play a key
role in defining & accelerating our capabilities to drive
innovation in all facets of our business. This highly visible role
reports to the Chief Information Security Officer and provides
exposure to a wide range of senior business and functional leaders.
This is an opportunity to join a relatively "young" team that is
rapidly maturing to world class status. If you embrace Agile
methodologies and are passionate about fact-based engineering,
developing new talent, and building a smart and effective
organization, we want to talk to you!
As a leader in the team you will be responsible for all areas of
Security Engineering, including Adversary Modeling and Red Team;
Application Security; Automation, Orchestration and Optimization of
security services; Identity and Access engineering; and SRE-based
delivery of engineering services to the business.
Your responsibilities will be divided between strategic
planning(40%), resource management (25%), technology development
(25%) and project management (10%.)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Technology and Product Development (25%)
Strategic Planning Direction (40%)
- Participate in the security technology and product planning
process with other members of management and affected external
partners; drive initiatives to success across the
- Work with business partners to demonstrate excellent
understanding of their needs and balance requirements, security and
- Ensure that all security capabilities meet business and
regulatory requirements, align with reference architectural "north
star" patterns, and are performant and efficient.
- Develop and mature an innovative information security strategy
focusing on an identity-centric, high visibility, orchestration and
- Meet with appropriate groups and executives across the company
to receive feedback on current systems and develop enhancements for
future technology needs and development initiatives.
- Serve on various executive steering committees for other IT and
Information Security projects.
- Ensure representation of HR Block at industry meetings and with
software and hardware vendors.
- Ensure program alignment with strategic business priorities and
Resource Management (25%)
Project Management (10%)
- Evaluate staffing needs and manage associate resources across
the global enterprise to ensure appropriate staffing levels,
talent, and capabilities.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to junior associates; coach
managers on interviewing skills, supervising techniques,
performance management, and training options.
- Monitor organizational productivity and provide staff members
with technical direction and growth. Provide regular performance
feedback to staff members.
- Conduct annual and quarterly reviews. Ensure that the
management staff provides timely, accurate reviews for their
- Periodically review and modify job descriptions of staff to
ensure essential functions of the positions are current.
- Prepare and manage departmental budgets. Review and approve
staff requests for hardware / software upgrades and replacements.
Approve supply order forms signed by department managers; approve
local purchases; and approve invoices for payment.
- Approve initial project requests.
- Direct the development of proposals, statements of work, RFP's,
- Oversee project change control processes to track project scope
changes. Manage communications throughout the project lifecycle
with all HRB executive business partners, external partners, and
About H&R Block...
We're here to live our purpose-to provide help and inspire
confidence in our clients and communities everywhere. We take our
work personally, because we know what it represents: Families and
homes. Livelihoods and lives.
We've been true to that purpose since brothers Henry and Richard
Bloch founded our company in 1955. Since then, we've grown to
approximately 12,000 tax offices throughout the United States and
around the world. When you join our team, you'll add to the
momentum of a forward-thinking company-one that defined an industry
and is now leading its transformation.
It would be even better if you also
- MBA or master's degree in Computer Science or related
- Extensive people management experience with increasing levels
of responsibility; demonstrated skills with performing
organizational design, performing risk assessments, setting
priorities and negotiating competing priorities.
- Experience managing relationships with external technology
partners, resellers and service providers
- Extensive knowledge of IRS procedures, tax software and
What you'll bring to the team...
- Deep background expertise in the IT industry, with demonstrated
focus on information security topics; specifically, within the
areas of architecture, engineering, incident response, security
operations, and application security.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology
or related field or the equivalent through a combination of
education and work experience.
- Demonstrated experience and a track record of delivering within
SLAs and budget constraints, working under tight deadlines, and
competitive demands in a multinational enterprise environment.
- Demonstrated project management experience, to include
experience using Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) project
management methodologies and the ability to manage large projects
with multiple priorities.
- Experience with cost benefit analysis NPV calculations in
preparing/reviewing business cases.
- Experience developing and managing a multi-million-dollar
- Experience building and managing a 24/7 global support
- Demonstrated leadership/management, strategic planning,
negotiation, and influence management skills.
- Ability to work with external vendors, guide groups toward a
vision, and deal with ambiguity while leading geographically
dispersed groups toward a common vision.
- Possess good business liaison capabilities. Effective oral,
written, and interpersonal communication skills. Exceptional
listening skills. Ability to interact effectively with all levels
of the organization from senior executives to staff level. Strong
presentation skills necessary to communicate and influence a wide
range of audiences.
Keywords: H&R Block, Kansas City , Director of Information Security Engineering, Other , KANSAS CITY, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!