Senior Power Systems Controls Engineer
Location: Shawnee Mission
Posted on: February 24, 2021
Eaton's Electrical Engineering Services and Systems division is
currently seeking a Senior Power Systems Controls Engineer to join
our team. This position will be based out of any of these
locations: Fenton, MO, Lenexa, KS, Urbandale, IA or Omaha, NE.
The Senior Power System Controls Engineer will provide field
service systems integration engineering and technical consultation
for customers in the areas of system design, programming,
installation, start up, maintenance, repair, training and
modification of automated control systems and power management
The Power Systems Controls group is a full-service systems
integrator with the capabilities to integrate the necessary
equipment and technologies, to provide a complete, power automation
solution. This team of engineers and technicians brings extensive
skills and experiences with a variety of leading HMI software
packages enabling us to design graphically rich, easy-to-use
operator interfaces that take advantage of the latest standalone or
web-based technologies. Our experience transcends a multitude of
equipment manufacturers, software packages, and network
architectures, including all major OEMs HMI, PLCs, and components.
We offer single point responsibility, a high level of engineering
and systems integration expertise, and a unified focus on cost
effective solutions, seamless integration, HMI development, energy
management tools, and professional turnkey system design and
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every
employee around the world. We create an environment where
creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every
day. It's where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your
full potential-and where you can help us reach ours.
In This Function, You Will
- Technical Responsibilities:
- Prepare submittal documentation for projects and meet with
customers to discuss project requirements and review
- Follow customers specifications and internal specifications for
- Program Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC's) for the
following applications, but not limited to
- Simple Automatic Transfer Controls between two sources (e.g.
- Complex Automatic Transfer controls between multiple sources
(e.g. Main-Tie-Gen-Tie-Main, Main-Gen-Tie-Gen-Main)
- Paralleling Switchgear Applications
- Write and deploy complex power and control schemes including
load shedding/ peak shaving schemes utilizing multiple distributed
energy resources, Microgrid operations, breaker control schemes,
SCADA system development.
- Ensure projects have proper controls, metering and monitoring.
Controls include Power meters, automation equipment (PLC/HMI),
protective relays, load sharing, synchronization, etc.
- Select components and create bill of materials.
- Provide sketches, mark-ups and direction to Electrical
Designers to develop project drawings. Review and approve project
drawings. You may also be responsible for completing the CAD
- Write operating sequences and instruction manuals.
- Assist with factory testing and field start-ups as
- Be responsible for working with test equipment and diagnostic
instruments for automation and power management systems.
- Be able to troubleshoot systems that are not functioning
- Be expected to work with relay logic.
- Knowledge of digital multifunction relays for genset protection
and utility requirements.
- GE Multilin
- Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories.
- Eaton E-series
- Programmable Logic Controller experience with the following
- Rockwell Automation
- HMI/SCADA Experience with the following manufactures:
- Wonderware InTouch
- GE Cimplicity
- Eaton Visual Designer
- Rockwell Automation Factory Talk View
- Capable of programming in SQL, Visual Basic, C, C++, C#, or
- Manage Networking
- Individual Responsibilities:
- Functional Self-Management: Work with minimal supervision,
manage own time effectively, and maintain control over all current
- You will receive general direction but exercise discretion as
to personal work details. Plan and execute as needed to accomplish
assigned individual tasks to meet expectations (cost, quality,
delivery). Assume responsibility of all assigned work.
- Work as a member of a project team, maintain project schedule,
attend project meetings, and keep project manager informed of
status, and complete required project metrics and design
documentation. Understand all parts of larger projects.
- Commercial Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support to Manufacturing and Sales
- Quote general turnkey controls schemes (analyze specifications,
price all applicable labor and materials, write a proposed scope of
Required (Basic) Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 3 years of power system industry experience
- Legally authorized to work in the United States without company
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only
candidates within a 50-mile radius of the locations will be
considered. Active-duty military are exempt from the geographical
- PE License.
- Knowledge of SCADA systems and associated protocols (Modbus,
Position Success Criteria
- Possess and maintains an active and valid driver's license
- Successfully complete and maintain compliance with the
company's safety program
- Available for travel & mobility 50% of time
- Strong customer focus and interpersonal skills
- Develop and maintain strong customer relationships
- Advise customers on technical opportunities/issues
North America - US/Puerto Rico
United States-Nebraska-Omaha, United States-Kansas-Lenexa, United
Fenton MO Loc
ESSG EESSD Electrical Engrg Svcs Systems Div
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility)
allowed for this position?
Does this position offer relocation?
Yes, 50 % of the Time
Requisition ID :094186
Keywords: Eaton, Kansas City , Senior Power Systems Controls Engineer, Other , Shawnee Mission, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!