Company: H&R Block, Inc.
Location: Kansas City
Posted on: April 10, 2021
H&R Block provides help and inspires confidence in our
clients and communities everywhere through global tax preparation,
financial products, and small business solutions. We blend digital
innovation with the human expertise and care of our associates and
franchisees as we help people get the best outcome at tax time, and
better manage and access their money year-round.
H&R Block has a strong history of entrepreneurship and client
service, and we're building on that with bigger ambitions and
faster transformation to deliver extraordinary results. In 2020, we
launched a new strategic plan to drive the next phase of this
transformation, and we're looking for people who act boldly, demand
high standards, crave tough problems and value winning as a team to
be part of this journey.
People who join H&R Block say it feels like being part of
something bigger. A place with an amazing and storied history, but
with a strong and urgent focus on the future. Maybe it's how
determined, forward thinking and innovative we are, or how
accessible our leadership is. We believe it's all those things, and
ABOUT TECHNOLOGY TRANSFORMATION AT H&R BLOCK
One of the key enablers supporting our new strategy is the
underlying technology transformation. We are now more than two
years into this effort, and the journey has included an aggressive
move to cloud computing, particularly Microsoft Azure, along with
Agile and DevOps approaches to operate at the ever-increasing speed
of technology in the marketplace.
We are investing heavily in our technology transformation moving to
serverless infrastructure and cloud-native services, as well as a
continuous everything approach - improvement, development, testing,
implementation, delivery, and learning; we are innovating
Our people are the key to our success, and this transformation is
generating an urgent need for more talent. We are investing in
talent opportunities as we look for bold thinkers who seek tough
challenges. We encourage learning, experimenting, and exploration.
If this type of innovation and learning is enticing to you and if
you embrace Agile practices, we are looking for YOU!
In support of our digital transformation, we are looking for a bold
enterprise architecture leader to reimagine our technology
landscape and create innovative solutions to help realize our
business ambitions. The Director of Enterprise Architecture is
responsible for leading a group of highly skilled technologists,
charged with developing new technology architectures to enable &
support HRB's business strategy. Reporting to the VP, Enterprise
Architecture & Information Management, in this role, you will have
an opportunity to work with business and IT leaders to understand
the business, its value streams & technology landscape, create
roadmaps to address capability gaps, develop technology
architecture, and partner with delivery teams to ensure proper
implementation. The ideal candidate will possess a breadth of
technical knowledge as well as experience in leadership and
Key responsibilities include:
- Partner with business and technology teams to analyze business
imperatives to identify technology capability gaps
- Partner with Product management & delivery leaders to develop &
manage the technology roadmap
- Drive adoption of new architectures, platforms & practices that
help the broader organization drive transformation and realize
- Provide strategic technical guidance for all enterprise IT
- Lead evolution of enterprise architecture function/program
- Establish an architectural framework to inform better decision
making across all areas of IT
- Lead technical evaluation, selection of
technologies/platforms/services to support enterprise technology
- Explore emerging technology trends to support business
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1.--Strategic Planning & Management
- Plan & manage the enterprise architecture function
- Partner with key leaders across the enterprise to help define
key initiatives to support HRB business imperatives
- Work closely with executive management to drive strategic
technology decision & manage technology roadmap
- Lead a high performing team of technologists to drive the
digital transformation at HRB & support business imperatives
- Create an environment that inspires the team to create bold
strategies & deliver creative solutions with measurable impact for
HRB and our clients
- Actively mentor and coach technologists across the HRB IT
organization to enhance their technical and leadership skills
- Partner with stakeholders across the HRB organization to ensure
alignment of critical technology programs to key business
imperatives & initiatives
- Drive key enterprise technology decisions to support HRB
business & technology strategy
- Partner with IT delivery leaders to ensure effective
implementation & adoption of key technology architectures,
platforms & practices
- Partner with Privacy & InfoSec teams to ensure IT systems are
architected to comply with regulatory & internal standards What
you'll bring to the team...
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology,
Taxation, Accounting, Business Administration or related field or
the equivalent through a combination of education and work
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of release schedules,
tight deadlines, and competitive demands
- Seven years people and/or product management experience with
increasing levels of responsibility; demonstrated skills with
performing organizational design, performing risk assessments,
setting priorities and negotiating competing priorities.
- Eight years project management experience to include experience
using Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) project management
methodologies and the ability to manage large projects with
- Experience with cost benefit analysis NPV calculations in
preparing/reviewing business cases.
- Experience developing and managing a multi-million dollar
budget(greater than $5 million).
- Ability to manage a 24/7 global support.
- Ability to translate business strategy into product
- Ability to balance what are often times competing priorities
between various product customers.
- Demonstrated leadership/management, strategic planning,
negotiation, and influence management skills.
- Ability to work with external vendors, guide groups toward a
vision, and deal with ambiguity while leading geographically
dispersed groups toward a common vision.
- Possess good business liaison capabilities. Effective oral,
written ,and interpersonal communication skills. Exceptional
listening skills. Ability to interact effectively with all levels
of the organization from senior executives to staff level. Strong
presentation skills necessary to communicate and influence a wide
range of audiences. It would be even better if you also had...
- MBA or Master's Degree in Computer Science.
- Ten years management experience.
- Ten years Project Management experience.
- Experience managing relationships with external business
partners such as ICB/Household bank and software/hardware
- Extensive knowledge of IRS procedures, tax software and
- Knowledge of HR Block tax operations.
- 10 years Minimum related work experience About H&R Block...
We're here to live our purpose-to provide help and inspire
confidence in our clients and communities everywhere. We take our
work personally, because we know what it represents: Families and
homes. Livelihoods and lives.
We've been true to that purpose since brothers Henry and Richard
Bloch founded our company in 1955. Since then, we've grown to
approximately 12,000 tax offices throughout the United States and
around the world. When you join our team, you'll add to the
momentum of a forward-thinking company-one that defined an industry
and is now leading its transformation.
Keywords: H&R Block, Inc., Kansas City , Director Technology, IT / Software / Systems , Kansas City, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!