Senior Clinical Research Nurse Coordinator
Company: University of Kansas Medical Center
Location: Kansas City
Posted on: January 26, 2023
SOM KC Internal Medicine - Administration
Senior Clinical Research Nurse Coordinator
Job Family Group:
Job Description Summary:
The Sr. Clinical Research Nurse Coordinator leads day to day
operations of clinical research. Provides professional nursing care
and patient monitoring for clinical trial participants. Provides
task direction, as needed, for clinical research nursing and
research personnel. Works collaboratively with multidisciplinary
teams, research and hospital staff to recruit, screen, educate, and
assist in the overall clinical study coordination of clinical
research. Manages assigned clinical research studies by supervising
a variety of complex activities involved in the collection,
compilation, documentation, and analysis of clinical research data.
Participates in periodic quality assurance audits of protocols.
Supports the development of study budgets, contracts and grant
We seek to advance the power of medicine by providing a
stimulating, supportive climate where faculty, scientists, trainees
and support staff strive for excellence and collaborate freely to
achieve shared goals. In order to accomplish this, we focus on five
Save the patient.
Ultimately, we all work in medicine, whether through patient care,
education, or research to help save our patients. It is, at once,
both our calling and our greatest challenge.
Do the right thing.
In caring for our patients and in pursuing research and teaching,
we must act in a way that conveys our spirit of cooperation and our
dedication to reason. We must do the right thing to serve as an
example to our colleagues around us and especially to our patients
and to our learners.
Be the bridge.
Separating ourselves from our colleagues who have dedicated
themselves to patient care only, in an academic medical center we
must constantly be striving to seek answers to questions that are
yet unanswered. Our curiosity helps define this difference and it
is our quest to respond to this curiosity that makes academic
medicine our career.
Ask questions, seek answers.
In our department, we emphasize that we are here to build bridges
and not silos. Our spirit of collegiality and collaboration as
opposed to confrontation is critical to our success. By building
bridges to the various research sciences and institutes in our
university and in our community, we make ourselves stronger.
Those who laugh, last.
Finally, as is emphasized to the residents and our other learners
almost every day, you have to love what you do and you have to do
what you love. If you do those things, then it makes your job more
than a job. Our department works hard, and we are proud of our
people and our accomplishments. And while we work hard, we also
have fun. It is this spirit that helps build a positive environment
in which we define success not only in what we accomplish
individually but how far we go as a team.
COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE:
Health, dental, vision, employer paid life, LTD, flexible benefits
plan, miscellaneous voluntary plans available, paid vacation and
sick (begin accruing upon hire), paid holidays, paid discretionary
day, paid bereavement leave, paid jury duty leave, military leave,
paid parental leave, retirement plan.
Anticipated salary is $68k-$74k, commensurate with experience.
* Plan, provide, and document professional nursing care utilizing
the nursing process for patients in accordance with physician
orders, institutional SOPs and state licensure scope of practice.
Use professional nursing judgment when conducting nursing research
activities to participants.
* Assure that all professional nursing care provided is conducted
in accordance with all KUMC and other regulatory requirements and
is in accordance with the scope of practice for the nursing license
* Under the direction of Principal Investigator, recruit, educate
potential patients for and evaluate potential patient eligibility
for clinical trials.
* Assist clinical staff with maintaining source documents and
submit case report forms (CRFs) as required for clinical
* Recognize and report adverse events/serious adverse events to the
Principal Investigator, FDA, and sponsors.
* Provide oversight of regulatory documentation including
correspondence with sponsor, KUMC IRB and subjects. Prepare and
maintain clinical trial contract documents and study budget
* As requested, facilitate monitoring visits, reviews and audits.
Provide written and verbal reports to Principal Investigator and
Project Manager, as required.
* Prepare and maintain clinical trial contract documents and study
* Perform study procedures, as outlined in the protocol and within
state and institutional scope of practice.
* Perform phlebotomy and sample collection, processing, handling,
and shipping as outlined in the protocol and within KUMC
* Ensure adequate study supplies are being maintained. Track study
expenditures and submit reimbursement requests for study equipment,
supplies and study participants.
* Prepare documentation and participate in study monitoring visits,
reviews and audits. Provide written and verbal reports to Principal
Investigator and Project Manager, as required.
* Attend continuing education, research and training seminars as
requested by manager.
* Participate in quality assurance activities by reviewing clinical
data in medical record charts, assessing pharmacy compliance with
protocol criteria and reviewing study documentation to ensure
compliance with GCP guidelines and FDA CFR.
* Coordinate closely with the Research Institute and Human Research
Protection Program and have a significant working knowledge of KUMC
policies and procedures.
* Reviews and assists with editing of new protocols. Assesses
feasibility of research protocol including appropriate patient
population, budget and specific needs for the study.
* As necessary, supervise research staff
* Associate's degree plus six years related work experience OR an
equivalent combination of relevant post-secondary education and
work experience that equals at least 8 years OR any combination or
relevant post-secondary education and directly relevant experience
that equals at least 8 years.
* Must maintain at least an RN state license while in this
* Clinical research experience required.
Skills & Competencies:
* Advanced understanding of regulations governing clinical research
(CFR, GCP, HIPAA)
* Advanced understanding of statutes and guidelines relevant to
regulatory affairs in clinical research.
* Excellent communication, writing, organizational and presentation
* Ability to fully contribute to multidisciplinary teams including
physicians, administrative staff to assure that the goals and
objectives of the program or project are met.
* Ability to effectively manage competing priorities and
* Prior supervisory experience
Preferred Research certification such as:
* Certified Clinical Research Coordinator (CCRC) or certification
* Certified Clinical Research Professional (CCRP) or certification
* Healthcare certifications preferred such as Basic Life Support
(BLS) or Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) within 3 months of
A complete application includes:
2. Cover letter showing how you meet the required and preferred
3. 3 professional references
* This is a rolling Evergreen posting that continually accepts
applications for numerous open positions within Internal
$69,000.00 - $107,000.00
Keywords: University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City , Senior Clinical Research Nurse Coordinator, Healthcare , Kansas City, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!