Program Manager for MD/PhD Program
Company: University of Kansas Medical Center
Location: Kansas City
Posted on: November 25, 2022
SOM KC MD PhD Program
MD/PhD Scientist Training Program
Program Manager for MD/PhD Program
Job Family Group:
Job Description Summary:
This administrative director position has responsibilities within
the following areas of the Medical Scientist Training Program
(MD/PhD Program) at KUMC (the "Program" hereafter) as related to,
and interacting with faculty and administrative officials in the
School of Medicine, MD/PhD Students, and other KUMC administrative
offices: budget, financial planning, student admissions, student
performance and tracking, daily Program management, and general
administration of Program activities. The position requires an
ability to comprehend, interpret, and act within regulations and
policies of the Program, the School of Medicine, KUMC, the state of
Kansas, and the NIH. Maintenance of confidentiality is imperative.
This position reports to the Director and Associate Director of the
Budgetary, Accounting, and Financial Management
* Manage the MD/PhD student-related expenditure-accounting, which
includes oversight of all expenditures such as: first and
third-party payment documents for students' stipend and tuition
each academic term, expense reimbursement documents and reports
relating to MD/PhD Student Council, student expenses on behalf of
the Program, other Program expenses relating to the students (e.g.,
Annual MD/PhD Student Retreat, etc), and reconcile
* Assist the Directors and other institutional financial planners
in the development of annual Program budgets, and projected Program
budgets as requested, and prepare the preliminary and final budget
documents consideration and implementation, respectively.
* Attend all budget and/or financial issues meetings for the
Program, including those concerning issues brought by the
* Create and maintain financial accounting spreadsheet(s) for the
KUMC EVC (and School of Medicine Director of Finance) detailing
expenditures and credits for all elements of the Program, with
emphasis on each student and the funding resources used for each
* Review and reconcile monthly the State of Kansas account
statements that include salaries and wages and Other Operating
* Review and reconcile monthly the University of Kansas Endowment
Association account statements relating to the Program
* Review and reconcile monthly any other account statements (e.g.,
from internal or external grants, etc.) relating to the Program.
Prepare monthly reports on all budget accounts for Director of
* Prepare correspondence to secure funds from the Endowment
accounts to cover all funding for fiscal year.
* Act as added administrative official for all student pre-doctoral
grants, so the Program is able to view and access balance reports,
as well as assist other departments with expense submission.
* Coordinate with SOM Finance on management of fringe benefits for
student pre-doctoral grants.
* Use various software interfaces [e.g., RINST and xTRAIN (NIH)] to
manage student participation in training grants throughout
* Responsible for learning and performing all aspects of the State
and KUEA purchasing systems. Prepare requisitions, purchase orders,
and receive items in Workday, including the BPC card process.
Maintain the program supply closet and maintain all purchasing
* Prepare reimbursement requests for vendors, faculty, staff, and
* Prepare contracts as required.
* Supervise part-time person appointed in the School of Medicine to
help with accounts payable.
* Prepare payment documents for all invoices associated with the
program cost centerand ensure that the supervisor has signed off on
all invoices for payment prior to paying.
* Maintain all Accounts Payable files.
* Process all faculty, staff, and student travel requests via
Workday for Program.
* Obtain appropriate contracts when necessary.
* Prepare, submit, and track travel reimbursements.
General Program Administration:
* Provide full administrative support (e.g., transportation,
lodging, and expense management) for all Programmatic activities,
including Annual MD/PhD Student Retreat, MD/PhD Physician Scientist
Research Lecture, and other events.
* Create and maintain all data tables on training & funding for the
T32. In collaboration with IASC, provide this information to other
departments for other grant submission or renewal.
* Act as liaison between MD/PhD applicants, students, staff, and
faculty with respect to regulations and polices of the Program.
* Track all submissions of student pre-doctoral grants and prepare
budgets for these.
* Maintain official student records. Ensure that supervisors
complete necessary evaluations and assist with issues, such as
disciplinary action, etc.
* Initiate process to verify that all students have registered for
the appropriate courses. If required, contact the student to ensure
this process is completed in a timely manner.
* Initiate the request to receive the tuition billing information
from Student Financial Accounting.
* Create a spreadsheet of tuition billing to clarify how each
students' tuition and stipend will be paid and send a copy to Fees
Manager in Student Financial Accounting and Associate Director of
Student Financial Aid to initiate the payment.
* Notify the Director of Graduate Studies of any changes and verify
Graduate Teaching Assistants or Graduate Research Assistants, who
are entitled to tuition fee waivers.
* Prepare requisitions, and purchase orders as necessary to insure
payment of the MD/PhD Student tuition and stipend.
* Review the academic grades for each student at the end of each
semester and report academic performance to the Director and
* Schedule meetings and prepare appropriate letters (probation, if
* Receive, review, and compile all student applications.
* Keep applicants informed about completeness of submitted
credentials for their application and contact applicants for
necessary outstanding requirements, or other information
* Prepare summaries of applications for distribution to the
Program's Admission Committee members and Directors for review.
* Approve paper applications and direct the preparation of
acceptance or decline letters.
* Create and maintain a hard copy and computer file of all
applicants' submitted items.
* Create a database tracking record of applicant/application
progress and status.
* Coordinate with Senior Coordinator for MD-Program Admissions in
the School of Medicine relative to each MD/PhD Program applicant
and his/her application completeness and status.
* Coordinate all details of scheduling and agenda for on-campus
visits and interviews of Applicants, including: scheduling rooms,
travel and meals (and also any involved reimbursement), interviews
with the admissions committee, and interviews with at least four
KUMC researchers selected by each applicant for any formal
interview visit by the applicant. Should virtual interviews be
required, schedule and run meetings with appropriate software.
* Schedule all admission committee meetings and record minutes for
these meetings to file with official documents.
* Create and distribute to the admissions committee all reports
regarding the applicants they are reviewing and keep appendix to
minutes for items discussed regarding these applicants.
* Coordinate visits for any applicants with offers, including
travel, transportation, lodging, meetings, and reimbursement.
* Work with Director and Associate Director to revise and update
Program brochures and website, which requires continuing training
on web and photo editing software.
* This position may be required to participate in regular staff
meetings or assigned to serve as a representative at meetings
(including national meetings) other than those for which the
incumbent is responsible.
* This position will also perform other reasonable duties as
requested by the Director and Associate Director.
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field.
Experience may substitute for degree on a year for year basis.
Master's degree in Business Administration or related field.
* Cover Letter
KUMC offers a range of great benefits that support employees and
eligible family members. Our health insurance benefits begin on
hire date and KUMC offers other exciting benefits such as paid
parental leave, generous employer retirement contributions and
other resources to improve health and well-being. Additional
information can be found at
$53,000.00 - $83,000.00
Keywords: University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City , Program Manager for MD/PhD Program, Executive , Kansas City, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!