Food Safety & QA Manager
Company: Smithfield Foods
Location: Kansas City
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Food Safety & QA Manager
US-MO-Martin City (South Kansas City)
US-MO-Martin City (South Kansas City)
As part of our FS/QA team, you would conduct routine sanitation
checks, ensuring that HAACP and USDA regulations are strictly
enforced. Providing technical expertise to track product from start
to finish, and develop corrective actions when needed. You will be
responsible for ensuring that we are able to safely deliver the
best Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan's Famous, or any of our product
brands to customers and consumers. Responsible for managing the
Plant Food Safety and Quality Assurance Department to provide safe,
high quality products that meet customer expectations. This role
has the overall accountability of ensuring the food safety system
is properly written, validated, documented and implemented as
directed to ensure USDA and FDA regulatory compliance and the
production of safe and wholesome products. Is accountable for the
plant's Quality System and must provide solid leadership to achieve
company, plant, and department goals through various management,
evaluation and improvement skills and strategies that improve
overall quality and profitability. The Plant Food Safety and
Quality Assurance Manager reports to the Plant Manager, the
Corporate Food Safety Manager and the Corporate Quality Assurance
Quality and Food Safety Verification and Compliance
- Verifies that all Food Safety, Quality
Assurance and Regulatory programs are functioning as designed,
being followed and correctly documented - thus ensuring the
facility has the "regulatory evidence" required to prove they have
produced safe and wholesome products.
- Ensures USDA regulatory compliance by making scientifically
defendable decisions that do not result in unjustified decreases in
operational productivity or efficiency.
- Able to quickly and thoroughly investigate a product/process
failure, determine the root cause and take prompt corrective
actions; while minimizing product exposure and production down
- Revise and update food safety and quality programs and
procedures as directed.
- Accountable for the preparation and the execution of USDA daily
verification tasks, as well as numerous 3rd party audits and USDA
food safety system assessments. Takes appropriate corrective action
as a result of any findings generated.
- Develops and fosters a strong working relationship with the
USDA. Food Safety and Quality Improvement
- Prevents HACCP, SSOP and process or product failures by working
with Food Safety and Quality Assurance staff members and Operations
to drive continuous improvement of product quality through
developing food safety and quality plans, process controls,
attention to process and specifications, food safety and quality
training. Sanitation and Food Safety
- Accountable for the overall design of the facility's sanitation
program. Including authoring a written USDA regulatory program,
sanitation performance tracking, training of applicable facility
production and meeting regularly with the USDA to discuss
- Ensures that operational and pre-operational sanitation is
acceptable. Implements and develops necessary verification
activities including micro sampling to verify the effectiveness of
sanitation activities. Takes action in response to negative micro
and Shelf Life data to drive improvement.
- Manages daily activities, in-depth training and development of
the Food Safety and Quality staff members.
- Document corrective actions and follow-up as necessary and
conduct GMP and Sanitation audits.
- Executes response to negative micro and Shelf Life data to
drive continuous improvement, by auditing and scrutinizing the
level of equipment cleanliness prior to the start of operations.
- Creates and maintain SQF Quality Plan.
- Completes reassessments of SQF Quality Plan if:
- Addition or removal of processing steps.
- Introduction of new product with processing steps not in
currently included in Quality Analysis
- At a minimum SQF Quality Plan is reassessed annually.
- Oversees the development, implementation, review and
maintenance of the SQF System, including food safety fundamentals
outlined in 2.4.2, the food safety plan outlined in 2.4.3 and the
food quality plan outlined in 2.4.4;
- Takes appropriate action to maintain the integrity of the SQF
- Communicates to relevant personnel all information essential to
ensure the effective implementation and maintenance of the SQF
System. Personnel Management
- Responsible for managing performance plans/reviews, work
schedules and assignments of other food safety staff members.
- In the absence of key personnel the employee's supervisor or
qualified designee (one that has been trained in the key employee's
duties) is responsible to complete or delegate the completion of
all required tasks and responsibilities.The above statements are
intended to describe the general nature and level of work being
performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to
be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills
required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited four-year
college or university and 5+ years' experience in the food
industry; or equivalent combination of education and
- Minimum of 2+ years' experience in a position of leadership to
include team development and management, required.
- Knowledge and understanding of quality assurance principles,
food science and meat processing, SPC and statistics;
- In-depth understanding of microbiological testing and limited
- Knowledge of various pathogens and microbes associated with
- Hands on experience conducting microbiological testing of meat
and poultry products.
- Comprehensive knowledge of USDA, FSIS, HACCP, and SSOP
- USDA/HACCP Certified, preferred.
- SQF Certified Expert, preferred.
- Ability to uphold regulatory, company and customer
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from
customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business
- Knowledge of Database software; Inventory software;
Manufacturing software; Spreadsheet and Word Processing software;
QMS system and SAP.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with demonstrated
multi-tasking and project management skills.
- Must be able to travel up to 10% of the time.
- May be required to work long hours and weekends.
- Must have the ability to complete required applicable forms in
English, which requires the ability to read and write in
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while
building strong working relationships and a positive work
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees in the Food
Safety and Quality Assurance Department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the
organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training
employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising
performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing
complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described
here are representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Office and plant setting. The plant environment will include
wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and
heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts,
exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and
ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger,
handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch,
or crawl and talk or hear.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can
be loud when in the production area.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit
smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits. PEOPLE MATTER More than 63,000
employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair,
ethical and rewarding work environment. GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job - it's the foundation for a
lifelong career with training designed to help you advance
professionally. BENEFITS Our people matter. That's why we offer
excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time
employees. SUSTAINABILITY PLEDGE Sustainability is ingrained in our
culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc.
is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global
reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to
producing "Good food. Responsibly" and serve as one of the world's
leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered
sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our
industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in our U.S.
company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across
our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of
protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of
millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a
portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield,
Eckrich and Nathan's Famous, among many others. For more
information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace
diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected
veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other
protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
Keywords: Smithfield Foods, Kansas City , Food Safety & QA Manager, Executive , Kansas City, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!