Manager, Software Engineering - Gradescope (USA Remote)
Location: Kansas City
Posted on: January 16, 2022
100% REMOTE POSITION (MUST BE U.S. BASED)
When you join Turnitin, you'll be welcomed into a company that is a
recognized innovator in the global education space. For more than
20 years, Turnitin has partnered with educational institutions to
promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all subject areas
and assessment types. Over 16,000 academic institutions,
publishers, and corporations use our services: Gradescope by
Turnitin, iThenticate, Turnitin Feedback Studio, Turnitin
Originality, Turnitin Similarity, ExamSoft, and ProctorExam.
Turnitin has offices in Australia, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea,
Mexico, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Ukraine, the United
Kingdom, and the United States. Our diverse community of colleagues
are all unified by a shared desire to make a difference in
education. Come join us, and let's make change together.
Turnitin seeking a Manager of -Software Engineering to lead -a high
performing front-end/back-end team and drive development, coding
and programming projects and changes for Turnitin, ensuring that
all code produced and delivered by the team meets the brief/pitch
and is to the highest quality standards.
This position will be managing a team of 6+ engineers who will be
working on products such as Turnitin's Gradescope and a variety of
core micro-frontend and related micro-services that will be shared
across our entire product line, collaborates cross-functionally
with people from Product, UX/Research, DevOps and other
engineering/worktrack teams in order to deliver solutions that
support our strategic company goals, using innovative technologies
that maximize our productivity and help our company grow.
What You'll be Doing: -
- Provide -hands on leadership of the team, setting goals and
- Collaborate -with Peers and team to define, develop and
implement best practices and procedures.
- Partner -with QA testing, UX, PMO, Engineering Leaders and
product management to ensure on-time delivery of high quality
features and to ensure resources are applied appropriately and
cross-departmental issues are addressed.
- Provide technical leadership and architectural oversight as
necessary. Be practical enough to strike a balance between doing
things 'perfectly' and doing things 'well enough to ship'.
- Analyze -and utilize -quality metrics across development
- Take -passionate ownership of the software your team builds,
and the way that they build it. - Take pride in both the quality of
the code we produce and on our commitment to improving our
processes along the way.
- Promote -a healthy culture, shaping and evangelizing
engineering standards and best practices to improve team
- Providing and environment of openness and transparency while
sharing your opinions and speaking up when you think we could be
doing something better than we're doing it now - tactfully and
empathetically to communicate continuous improvement opportunities
in a way that brings people along instead of distancing them
- Mentor, coach -and develop the careers of a talented group of
- Provide -development opportunities for the team to broaden and
enhance their skill sets, working with the team to ensure they have
Individual development plans to stretch and grow their skills
- Identify -opportunities for improvement by challenging the
status quo and defining alternative and creative solutions
- Stay -up-to-date with new tools and development strategies
while -bringing recommendations for change and innovation to
leadership and own team.
- Ensure -the team has great communication across the
organization and are up to date with the vision and mission of the
- Be a proactive team player and communicator - both to your
teammates and our collaborators from other engineering teams,
product, customer support, sales, you get the picture. - Our work
impacts a lot of people, and there are a lot of stakeholders who
need to maintain context alongside us as progress / decisions are
- Take -part in projects as requested.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline OR
relevant work experience
- 3+ years hiring, managing and mentoring quality/software
- Experience building and architecting highly scalable
front-end/back-end applications. (React, Rails, AWS)
- Strong knowledge of software methodologies, tools and
- Experience working and collaborating with teams across multiple
time zones and geographies.
- Experience working collaboratively with cross-functional Agile
- Excellent organizational communication and leadership skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proactive working style with the ability to adapt to
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and
meaningfully improve learning outcomes. -
Our Values underpin everything we do.
- Customer Centric - We realize our mission to ensure integrity
and improve learning outcomes by -putting educators and learners at
the center of everything we do.
- Passion for Learning - We seek out teammates that are
constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables
them to do so.
- Integrity - We believe integrity is the heartbeat of Turnitin.
It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we
work with our customers and vendors.
- Action & Ownership - We have a bias toward action and empower
teammates to make decisions.
- One Team - We strive to break down silos, collaborate
effectively, and celebrate each other's successes.
- Global Mindset - We respect local cultures and embrace
diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact
Seeing Beyond the Job Ad
At Turnitin, we recognize it's unrealistic for candidates to
fulfill 100% of the criteria in a job ad. - We encourage you to
apply if you meet the majority of the requirements because we know
that skills evolve over time. If you're willing to learn and evolve
alongside us, join our team! - -
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have
equal access to its programs, facilities and employment. We
strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with
disabilities, women, and the LGBTQ+ community, regardless of age,
gender, religion, marital or veterans status.
Keywords: Turnitin, Kansas City , Manager, Software Engineering - Gradescope (USA Remote), Executive , Kansas City, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!