Manager - Process Engineering
Location: Kansas City
Posted on: February 23, 2021
WaterOne refers to Water District No. 1 of Johnson County,
Kansas. WaterOne is an independent public utility proudly serving
the Johnson County area since 1957. Posted Date 3 days ago
(11/6/2020 9:12 AM) ID 2020-1461 # of Openings 1 Category
Management Overview WaterOne is an independent public water
utility. We've been proudly serving the Johnson County, Kansas area
since 1957. Every day, nearly 425,000 customers rely on WaterOne to
provide fresh, clean water on demand. It's a responsibility we
deliver on.-- Our passion is water because water touches everything
we care about: family, health, safety, and community. We serve our
community by bringing award-winning water to their homes,
businesses, and public places. Summary/Objective The Manager -
Process Engineering provides analytical expertise in Production
processes and facilitates strategy development using data to drive
efficiencies and decision-making in Production. With limited
direction, this person is responsible for developing and applying
advanced process engineering techniques, concepts and approaches to
complex engineering problems. This person will provide technical
assistance to a multidisciplinary staff on water treatment, water
quality, monitoring, controls, and regulatory compliance matters.--
Responsibilities Essential Functions Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Provide technical and managerial leadership on process
improvements department-wide by ensuring staff has the resources
and direction to do their assigned projects/tasks.
- Collaborate with operational workgroups, water quality,
engineering and others to identify key projects, studies and needs
for improved performance and service delivery.
- Provide technical assistance and services on water treatment
issues and evaluate treatability of source water supplies based on
raw water quality and treated water quality requirements and
- Assist with selection of scientific/technical products,
materials, and equipment for water treatment processes.
- Provide guidance to the Production Division on the technical
components and data relationships involved in the AMI system, ,
computerized maintenance management system , record and information
management system, water modeling software, and Supervisory Control
and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system implementation.
- Review and oversee a standardized methodology and format for
creating and updating standard operating procedures pertaining to
the Production Division. Take the lead in creating processes to
ensure that a comprehensive set of SOPs is defined, developed,
reviewed, and updated as applicable.
- Routinely oversee work group activities, department facilities
and equipment; review problems, concerns and issues; and make
appropriate recommendations to management staff.
- Oversee the systems training materials and provide training to
division end-users for new and existing division systems,
processes, and procedures.
- Develop descriptions, calculations, and costs for
physical/chemical processes such as softening, coagulation, and
filtration and advanced treatment processes such as membrane
filtration and ozone.
- Support multiple projects with complex technical
- Self-manage budget, schedule, and quality requirements for
- Encourage teamwork and foster an environment that will strive
for continuous improvements.
- Stay abreast of technological changes or advancements; read and
interpret technical publications and manuals; research new
resources, programming and processes. Other Duties
- Performs other job duties as assigned. Qualifications Required
Education, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical, Mechanical, or Industrial
Engineering or related field, with substantial water treatment
- Professional Engineer License in the State of Kansas or the
ability to obtain one in six months.
- Licensed/certified Water Operator required within 12 months of
date in position.
- At least 8 years of related work and technical experience.
- Demonstrated experience with mechanical, and analytical testing
processes and equipment. Experience with SCADA and databases.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, codes and
regulations related to water treatment quality.
- Demonstrated superior problem-solving skills, ability to take
an analytical approach to problem solving using principles of
logical or scientific thinking, and lead process and system
improvements across the division with high level of
- Established leadership skills focused on teamwork and
- Ability to select, supervise, organize, train, and evaluate
technically diverse staff.
- Perform difficult work with a high level of responsibility
involving the use of independent judgement and personal
- Must have knowledge of and competency with MS Office software,
including advanced skills with Access, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of WaterOne
- Must have demonstrated ability to work well under
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of data and other user
- Must pass post offer medical exam, including drug screen and
background verification (may not apply to current employees.)
Preferred Education, Skills & Experience
- Advanced knowledge of water treatment process engineering
- Knowledge of water utility design, construction, and
maintenance standards and contracting issues in the construction
industry. Experience in designing, documenting, exercising, and
upgrading an emergency operations plan.
- Experience with enterprise resource planning software, such as
SAP and with Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition Systems
(SCADA). Core Competencies These key core competencies are expected
to be demonstrated by each employee at WaterOne:
- Customer Focus - Demonstrates a concern for satisfying both
internal and external customers and builds collaborative
relationships with customers and stakeholders.
- Communicates Effectively - Demonstrates the ability to listen
and express oneself effectively.
- Interpersonal Savvy - Demonstrates the ability to effectively
coordinate with others to achieve goals and solve problems by
maintain flexibility and open mindedness.
- Problem Solving/Drive for Results - Demonstrates the ability to
find solutions to complex problems.
- Conscientiousness - Expresses the motivation to perform one's
job in a careful, thorough way that adheres to the standards of
honesty and integrity. In addition to the core competencies, these
key competencies are expected to be demonstrated by each employee
in this position:
- Analysis/Reasoning - Examines data to grasp issues, draw
conclusions, and solve problems.
- Instills Trust - Gaining the confidence and trust of others
through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Decision Making & Judgement - Makes timely, informed decisions
that take into account the facts, goals, constraints, and
- Job Knowledge - Work reflects adequate knowledge of job, stays
current with major job impacts, accepts change, and understands how
job interacts with other positions.
- Safety and Security Focus - Adheres to all workplace safety and
security policies, standards, and practices. In addition to the
core and position competencies, these supervisor competencies are
expected to be demonstrated by each employee in this position:
- Ensures Accountability - Holds self and others accountable to
meet commitments, complete tasks, manage performance, and
appropriate project management.
- Strategic Mindset - Understands the business by using a
strategic and global perspective to make complex decisions, explore
innovative solutions, and build networks to make the big picture
- Developing Other - Develops people to meet both their career
and the organization's goals while creating trust and a positive
work environment. Supervisory Responsibility Data Analyst Process
Management Coordinator Physical Requirements The physical demands
described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While
performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally
lift/or move up to 50 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to
10 pounds. The employee must be able to use a computer for five
hours a day. The employee must be able to move occasionally from
one location to another or be able to remain in a stationary
position for up to several hours a day. The employee must be able
to use office productivity equipment such as a personal computer,
calculator, printer, and copy machine. The work environment
characteristics described here are representative of those an
employee encounters while performing the essential functions of
this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in both the field and a professional office
environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment
such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax
machines. The noise level in the work environment is usually
moderate except when in the field on a jobsite. Sorry the Share
function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the
page and try again later.
Keywords: WaterOne, Kansas City , Manager - Process Engineering, Executive , Kansas City, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!