Company: Ewing Marion Kauffman School
Location: Kansas City
Posted on: February 23, 2021
DIRECTOR OF DATA
ABOUT THE KAUFFMAN SCHOOL
The Ewing Marion Kauffman School is a free, public charter school
serving more than 1,200 students in 5th through 12th grades.
Focused on student achievement and strong character, the school's
mission is summarized in three words: create college graduates. The
school serves a student population of which 87% qualify for free
and reduced lunch and 90% identify as students of color. Students
are accepted by a lottery that prioritizes the six highest-need zip
codes within the district. In 2019, the Kauffman School graduated
its first, and founding, class of students – 100% of seniors were
accepted to a four-year college or university and 72% of students
will be the first in their families to attend college.
The Kauffman School seeks results-driven and culturally responsive
educators to join its team. We fundamentally believe that every
student can reach ambitious goals when provided a supportive
academic setting, when they are surrounded by teachers who have a
deep belief in their potential, and when those teachers
intentionally build relationships with and connect with students'
personal goals and ambitions. We show belief in every student
through setting and holding them to high expectations while
building relationships. We approach rigorous learning as an
activity that is responsive to students' cultural contexts and
pushes them to think critically. We seek opportunities for students
to engage with and respond to the world around them - both in their
immediate lives and in their broader society - while being pushed
intellectually at all times.
In 2015, the Kauffman School was recognized as Missouri Charter
School of the Year. In the 2015-16, 2016-17 and 2017-18 school
years, the Kauffman School earned a perfect score on its statewide
Annual Performance Rating, one of only 7% of districts statewide to
do so. In 2019, Teach For America recognized the Kauffman School as
a School To Learn From.
Additionally, the Kauffman School became the first charter network
outside of New York City to earn the top tier "Platinum" rating
from the Leverage Leadership Institute, an extension of the Relay
Graduate School of Education. Our school and student results
demonstrate our students' incredible brilliance, passion,
creativity, and work ethic. Kauffman School students are empowered
by their identities and place in the community and develop a
critical consciousness of the world around them. Kauffman School
staff actively partner with families to be a school, not just in
the community, but of the community.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Ewing Marion Kauffman School (Kauffman School) seeks a
dedicated and inspirational Director of Data. The DoD is a
committed, detail-oriented individual who shares the Kauffman
School belief that all students can meet high academic expectations
in the right school environment. The DoD helps build this
environment by identifying, implementing and managing technologies
and a data infrastructure that drive successful instruction and
operations. The DoD will manage the measurement portfolio of the
Kauffman School including student assessment, surveys, and
organization priorities. The DoD is the direct manager of Data
Specialists. The DoD reports to the Chief Operating Officer and is
a full-time, exempt position.
Program & Performance Management
- Design and execute progress monitoring systems to evaluate the
effectiveness of key organizational priorities including
instructional excellence, college readiness and persistence, and
network support systems. Partner with instructional and operational
leaders to design appropriate interventions, measure their impact,
and identify both technical and adaptive action steps to
continually improve outcomes.
- Facilitate weekly checkpoints with cross-functional teams to
ensure quarterly outcomes are met; coach team members to identify
highest leverage action steps and strong systems to deliver
results. Partner with key instructional leads to roll up progress
and set vision with the CEO.
- Identify gaps in Kauffman School outcomes and propose solutions
for programmatic shifts or strategic initiatives. Identify systemic
needs (reporting systems, trackers, meeting structures, roles and
responsibilities) that require a new solution and work with team
input to solve.
- Partner with CEO and instructional leaders to research and
pilot new initiatives to inform future school models and/or improve
the Kauffman School's next five-year strategic plan.
- This role will be responsible for program management of pilot
initiatives (i.e., dual credit) and strategic initiatives (i.e., AP
performance, HS 2.0) through coordination of budget, external
partners, instructional delivery, and operational support. Develop
long-term playbooks and ownership structures for programs at scale,
then coach the permanent owners on effective maintenance of the
Data Team Leadership & Systems Innovation
- Directly supervise Kauffman School data team in excellent
execution of the organization's progress monitoring cycles
including student assessment and culture, and the organization's
priorities and adult culture.
- Coach the managers of school data cycles to strong ownership of
logistics on full suite of assessments, accurate and efficient
reporting systems (Kickboard, grades, so developing schedules and
course structures that allow the school to execute on our
priorities, and full compliance with state and board
- Ensure network-team led meeting structures (logistics planning,
data days, Network/Ps), are highly effective and efficient through
strong coaching of scope & sequence, agenda planning, meeting
facilitation, and change management.
- Develop vision and manage the processes and resources necessary
for integrating and automating EMKS data reporting. Identify areas
for systems to support strong analysis and manage vendors and team
members to complete projects including implementation, team
investment and adoption, and continuous improvement.
Management and Leadership
- Embody and advocate the mission, vision, and strategic
direction of the Kauffman School.
- Serve as a key member of the Kauffman School Leadership Team,
representing the school to a variety of audiences and supporting
all necessary functions for school management and success.
- Create and retain high-performing, results-driven teams through
effective observation and feedback cycles and strong vision and
model of excellence.
- Set and maintain excellent culture and relationships among
Kauffman School leaders and between departments through consistent
high-leverage feedback and facilitating reflections to yield
technical and adaptive action steps.
- Accountable for the highly effective communication of all
senior leadership team members through presentations of priorities,
coaching clear and inspiring delivery, and ensuring that staff are
invested in and executing priorities with fidelity.
End-User Training and Support
- Design and implement a plan to allow EMKS instructional staff
to become informed users of EMKS systems and their data (aka "Power
Users"); embed end products of EMKS educational technology into the
classroom, by making it accessible and actionable for all staff
- Train staff on the effective use of EMKS data tools to best
support student learning.
- Manage process for gathering information from instructional
staff about the effectiveness and usefulness of EMKS data tools;
act on feedback to continuously improve data systems.
- Participate in regular staff development meetings and make
content-appropriate presentations and professional development
sessions as requested by school leadership.
- Work with instructional staff to pilot relevant education and
data technology in the classroom.
Building School Culture
- Believe deeply in the mission of the Kauffman School and that
all children can meet high academic expectations.
- Frequently and consistently communicate the school's mission
and philosophy to students and families.
- Adhere to school academic and disciplinary protocols.
- Be personally accountable for the quality of school technology
and data work.
- Exhibit the school's values at all times when interacting with
students, families, staff, and visitors.
- Maintains confidential and sensitive information, with respect
to both school and student level data and internal staff
- Embrace feedback in the spirit of constant
- Demonstrate maturity, humility, professionalism, confidence,
and a strong work ethic.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer.
- BA/BS degree required (mathematics, engineering, education,
social science, statistics or related field)
- Experience designing and implementing technology systems to
support academic achievement
- Experience with managing 3rd-party vendors, and collaborating
with multiple vendors to achieve a shared goal
- Experience collecting, analyzing, and reporting data associated
with public education
- Experience with PowerSchool, Kickboard or other SIS/performance
- Demonstrated knowledge with various computer information and
data management systems (i.e. Microsoft Excel), in addition to
general proficiency and problem solving regarding
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others on team
- Ability to establish timelines and consistently meet
- Ability to think creatively about complex problems
- Ability to think of both the big picture and operational
- Ability to multitask with ease, prioritizing
- Proven track record of delivering accurate, comprehensive
results within tight deadlines
- Excellent problem-solving and superior interpersonal and
- Able and willing to work extended school day hours
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The Kauffman School offers a competitive compensation package
commensurate with relevant experience and anticipated duties and
responsibilities, including comprehensive health benefits.
Interested applicants should complete a formal application through
the Kauffman School Careers page at .
In your cover letter please address the following topics:
- Highlight your experience working with students, urban
communities, or in an entrepreneurial environment
- Share an example or past experience where you implemented new
technologies and systems at an organization, to support
organizational goals. What went well with that implementation? What
did not go well, and what learning did you take from that
- Provide specific evidence of your alignment with the Kauffman
School's mission of "creating college graduates" and/or the
Kauffman School's PREP values (Perseverance, Results, Empathy,
The Kauffman School is an Equal Opportunity Employer, welcoming
people to flourish in an open and inclusive work environment. A
diverse pool of candidates is welcomed and encouraged.
Keywords: Ewing Marion Kauffman School, Kansas City , Data Director, Executive , Kansas City, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!