Company: Sherwood Autism Center
Location: Kansas City
Posted on: September 23, 2022
The Art Teacher is responsible for developing, overseeing, and
providing direct services to students in support of their
Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) and Individual Service Plans
(ISPs). The Art Teacher will work in cooperation with a
multi-disciplinary team to provide evidence-based, ethical services
based on Sherwood Autism Center's mission and values, thus ensuring
the highest quality of services is provided in a timely and
consistent manner to all program participants.
The Essential Job Functions of Position
(This is not an exclusive list and other duties may be assigned as
- Supports and adheres to the Sherwood Handbook and Sherwood
Special Education Program Handbook.
- Plans for instruction with specific student objectives and
sequenced instruction using appropriate materials and resources for
students to engage in learning.
- Utilize a variety of art materials and subjects that are
appropriate for the ages and skill levels of the students.
- Teach skills in the various arts in a group setting as dictated
by program needs.
- Maintains a positive learning environment and sets high
standards for behavior within the classroom and building.
- Promotes positive relationships and effective communication
with all staff and students.
- Demonstrates professional work habits by regular attendance,
honoring schedules/deadlines, organization and completing assigned
tasks in an effective and efficient manner.
- Controls the storage and use of art supplies.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior to
provide an orderly, productive art environment
- Identifies student needs and cooperates with other professional
staff members in assessing and helping in student related
- This is currently a Part-Time Art Teacher position for 1 day
per week with the opportunity to progress to more over time.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, follow through,
and work cooperatively with others
- Strong communication, leadership, and organization
- Ability to serve as a role model, mentor, coach, and
- Demonstration of the ability to effectively and efficiently
lead a team of staff as well as manage program resources (time,
- Strong writing and scheduling skills with efficient time
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, record keeping, and written
- At least 21 years of age with valid driver's license and
satisfactory driving record
- Must be able to exert, lift, carry, push/pull up to 50
- Must be able to demonstrate good balance, object handling,
object fingering, feeling, simple hand grasping, firm hand grasping
and occasional running or jogging.
- This position requires extended periods of walking and standing
with some periods of sitting, which is dependent up the needs and
activities of the individuals supported. It may require light to
heavy lifting and occasional stooping, kneeling, bending, and/or
Sherwood Autism Center's policy is to provide equal opportunity to
all people without regard to race, color, religion, national
origin, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, age, disability,
pregnancy, genetic information, citizenship status, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected
category. Sherwood is proud to be a drug-free workplace.
Sherwood provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes,
but is not limited to medical, dental, 401K and paid time off.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Hold or be eligible for Missouri Teaching Certificate or have
an active substitute certificate
- Level 1 Medication Aid (must be obtained within 6 months of
- Experience working with or within the public education system,
multidisciplinary teams, day habilitation, or clinical
- Experience supporting alternative student communication
- A strong desire to work with a multi-disciplinary team and
advance their knowledge and skills in providing art
- Ability to exercise mature judgment with initiative in
analyzing and solving problems
- Experience with working with children, adolescents, and adults
with autism and other developmental disabilities in a school
- Knowledgeable about PBIS, ABA, and SCM
- First Aid/CPR certification
Keywords: Sherwood Autism Center, Kansas City , Art Teacher, Education / Teaching , Kansas City, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!