Special Education/Transition Teacher
Company: Sherwood Autism Center
Location: Kansas City
Posted on: May 15, 2022
Do you want to play an integral role in a dynamic organization?
We are looking for a Special Education/Transition Teacher who wants
to assist our organization. The right candidate will enjoy learning
new tasks and taking on a variety of responsibilities while working
in an up-beat, nonprofit environment.
Sherwood Autism Center fosters a team environment, you will work
toward one goal: making sure our adults lead active and independent
lives. It's more than a career; it's a fulfilling way of life.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Administer national, state, and district assessments throughout
the year in order to evaluate students' abilities and design group
and individualized teaching plans and lessons to meet the needs of
their assigned grade band.
- Develop/Write Individualized Education Plans, organize and lead
required scheduled meetings (IEP, progress monitoring, etc.) and
utilize technology/software to track students' progress while
maintaining a clear record of the student's academic progress in
conjunction with each student's team.
- Select, adapt and design learning materials, lesson plans,
teaching strategies and activities to teach skills based on
interests and motivation to address each students' individualized
- Inform parents about their student's performance and potential
problems as well as interpret student's educational needs and
- Complete all necessary paperwork to be in compliance with the
state and district requirements with respect to applicable statues
and regulations, including due process safeguards and the Missouri
- Coach/mentor paraprofessionals and classroom assistants who
work with students within their assigned grade band.
- Collaborate with each student's support team (i.e. dedicated
Assistant Teacher, BCBA, OT and SLP) to create comprehensive
intervention plans including the management of student's behavioral
patterns, language/communication, and motor/sensory needs.
- Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing
productivity and employee morale
Special Education/Transition Teacher candidates who believe they
fit Sherwood Autism Center's culture are encouraged to apply!
Sherwood Autism Center's culture is described as:
- People-oriented- supportive and fairness focused
- Detail-oriented-quality and precision-focused
- Team-oriented-cooperative and collaborative
As a Special Education/Transition Teacher at Sherwood Autism Center
You will be in the midst of activity and energy. This position
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who
have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or
- A good job for someone just entering the workforce or returning
to the workforce with limited experience
- A job for all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged
Sherwood Autism Center recognizes the value of benefits to our
employees. We offer competitive wages, and ongoing training. Full
time employees are eligible for our robust, comprehensive benefits
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Ancillary benefit options including Voluntary Short term
disability, Voluntary Life and AD&D, Voluntary Accident,
Voluntary Critical Illness and Cancer Plan, Voluntary Hospital
Indemnity as well as an Employee Assistance Program.
- 10 company paid holidays
- Generous PTO/Vacation
- Paid Professional Development Opportunities
- Employee Referral Program with bonuses up to $500
What is Sherwood Autism Center?
Sherwood Autism Center is a non-profit committed to our mission to
educate, equip, and empower children and adults with autism as well
as other developmental disabilities to promote independence in
family and community life by providing the highest quality
services. Since our founding in 1974, we have evolved into a
multi-faceted organization serving our community though a wide
range of impactful educational, vocational, and behavioral health
The Special Education/Transition Teacher must be able to
prioritize, organize and communicate with all levels of the
organization. They should be able to maintain confidentiality, be a
critical thinker, as well as be concise and detail oriented. You
must have a positive demeanor, and great customer service
Affirmative Action/EEO Statement:
Sherwood Autism Center is committed to cultivating an inclusive
work environment because we know that many of the greatest ideas
and discoveries as well as best examples of service come from a
diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences. We believe that
everyone is an equal member of society and should be treated with
dignity, respect and kindness. Because we believe inclusivity is
critical to our success, Sherwood provides equal opportunities to
all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race,
religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation,
gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability,
veteran status or any other protected category under Federal, State
and local law.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with
or without notice.Required Education and Experience:
- Must be 18 years of age
- US work authorization
- Bachelor's degree in Special Education or related area
- Hold a current Teaching Certificate by the state of Missouri ()
in Special Education or related area
- Experience with working with children with autism and other
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to exercise and initiate mature judgment to analyze and
- A strong desire to work with a dynamic team and advance their
knowledge and skills
- Desire to work with students ages 5 to 21
- Proficient in Microsoft Office specifically Word, Excel and
- Eligibility for MO Highway Patrol Criminal Record Check and
Child Abuse History Clearance
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Experience supporting augmentative and alternative student
- SCM certification
- First aid/CPR, Abuse/neglect training
- Strong writing and scheduling skills with efficient time
Keywords: Sherwood Autism Center, Kansas City , Special Education/Transition Teacher, Education / Teaching , Kansas City, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!