Director Accounting - (Relocate to Rapid City)
Company: Black Hills Energy
Location: Kansas City
Posted on: August 17, 2019
We are seeking a strategic hands-on leader to join our growing
Energy and Utility organization. The Accounting Director will
ensure that Black Hills Corporation has the staff, processes,
systems, and internal controls necessary to report, in an accurate
and timely manner, the financial results in compliance with GAAP,
FERC and management needs to assess financial performance of the
You will be responsible for the direct oversight of accounting
functions including corporate accounting, margin accounting, and
accounts payable. You will also implement and maintain a system of
internal controls that will ensure that company assets are
adequately safeguarded. Partner with Director - Financial Reporting
and Accounting Research to ensure that all information supporting
financial reporting is prepared in compliance with financial
policies, SEC requirements, FERC and GAAP. Partner with Director -
Corporate Regulatory and Finance to ensure alignment between
historical financial analyses and forecasted financial positions.
Partner with the Director - Fixed Asset Accounting to ensure fixed
assets are accurately reflected within financial statements.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
- Full Relocation is offered for this position. Our benefits
include but are not limited to: home finding trip, transportation
of household goods, temporary housing expenses, trips home during
temporary housing, paid time off to move, transition and spousal
career support, home marketing and home finding assistance, home
sale closing cost assistance, appraised value home purchase option,
relocation adjustment allowance, destination purchase closing cost
assistance, and a partial home equity advance. Contents of our
relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on
- We are headquartered in Rapid City, and think you'll find that
it is the ideal community to live and work in. With hiking trails
within city limits and the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore and Badlands
National Park in your backyard, there are endless opportunities to
get out and enjoy nature.
- Rapid City - Hidden Gem of the West:
- Rapid City Chamber of Commerce: SALARY RANGE: $131,800 -
$183,220 (Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and
abilities of the applicant.)
CLOSING DATE: This position will remain open until filled.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Vice President, Corporate Controller and
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Oversee critical corporate accounting functions including
corporate accounting, margin and accounts payable.
- Maintain strong understanding of GAAP, FERC and SEC
pronouncements and other regulations pertinent to the Company in
coordination with the financial reporting and accounting research
- Ensure financial statements are completed timely and accurately
in compliance with GAAP, FERC, and SEC requirements; accounting
estimates are appropriate given the risks and uncertainties
involved; and accounting records contain the information necessary
to meet reporting requirements.
- Manage all monthly, quarterly and year-end close activities.
Coordinate work with internal and external audit plans. Responsible
for implementation of agreed upon recommendations as a result of
- Establish strong business partner relationships and be seen as
the company's technical expert in accounting matters; act as a
strategic partner with the business by providing timely analysis
and support to solve accounting related issues.
- Develop, implement, maintain and monitor internal controls
within accounting processes to ensure the accuracy of our
consolidated financial records and statements including compliance
with Sarbanes Oxley. Partner with organization leaders to ensure
compliance with internal controls.
- Develop and maintain strong accounting policies and
- Lead and create efficiencies in accounting processes by
implementing process improvements, technology driven solutions and
automation. Partner with Accounting Systems to ensure all financial
systems are properly operating to capture and produce timely and
accurate information and support the company's growth.
- Build, lead and inspire a high-performing Accounting
organization with a focus on developing and implementing solid
- Assist in the adoption and implementation of new accounting
- Ensure documentation is maintained for all processes and
procedures. ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Exercise management authority concerning staffing, performance
appraisals, promotions, salary recommendations and terminations in
accordance with company policy and law. Lead staff in appraising
performance, directing work, rewarding and disciplining employees
and addressing complaints and resolving problems of their
respective teams. Create an atmosphere of open communication and a
sense of urgency to problem resolution. Lead department in a manner
that emphasizes the Company's values.
- Actively participate as a member of committee assignments.
(e.g. Disclosure Review Committee, Executive Risk Committee, Audit
- Maintain compliance with risk management policies and
- Serve as a key member on enterprise-wide projects including
mergers and acquisition activity. Support due diligence efforts and
communicate accounting and financial reporting implications based
on findings. WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
- Demonstrate ability to build trust and develop strong
cross-functional relationships across the organization including
all accounting functions, human resources, internal audit, investor
relations, operations, financial management and regulatory, supply
chain, tax, and treasury to ensure achievement of common
- Participate in Senior Leadership meetings as assigned by
- Participate in Audit Committee and Board of Director meetings
as assigned by supervisor.
- Maintain strong working relationship with internal and external
- Develop strong partnerships with accounting leadership in other
- Minimum of ten years of experience in public accounting; audit,
or consulting experience required.
- Utility experience preferred.
- Experience with publicly traded company preferred.
- Five or more years of highly technical and progressive
- Five or more years of proven management and supervisory
- BS in Accounting/Finance required.
- MBA or CMA preferred. KNOWLEDGE:
- Must have strong technical accounting skills with extensive
knowledge of SEC reporting requirements and US GAAP.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of accounting and
reporting guidance and regulations issued by FASB, SEC, FERC, and
other regulatory bodies.
- Knowledgeable of Sarbanes-Oxley compliance requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to build trust and strong cross-functional
relationships across an organization to achieve common goals
- A hands-on leader; broadly shares responsibility and
accountability of both routine and important tasks and decisions;
provides timely and thoughtful feedback
- Decision maker with ability to exercise excellent
- Thrives in a high pressure, fast-paced, and rapidly changing
- Takes a collaborative and proactive approach to problem
solving, with an ability to turn findings into executable
- Highly analytical and systematic
- Strategically-minded; contributes to holistically solving
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; a direct
communicator who can distill information into a digestible
presentation for senior executives
- Customer and safety focused
- Strong people leadership skills and the ability to build solid
- Able to motivate and mobilize others; creates a team culture
where everyone wants to do their best and deliver results
- Sets performance direction by translating broader business
initiatives into clear team objectives and individual goals,
aligning appropriately with other groups for efficient, coordinated
- A CPA designation preferred. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Applicant must be able to perform the essential job functions
of the position with or without accommodation. About our Company:
We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is
devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with
energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse
culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and
possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2800
employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility
customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming,
Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program,
401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement
contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional
Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay..... click apply for
full job details
Keywords: Black Hills Energy, Kansas City , Director Accounting - (Relocate to Rapid City), Accounting, Auditing , Kansas City, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!